Wednesday, August 18, 2010

He tamed the blog girl

So we’re sitting at drinks with friends at Eastlake Bar and Grill, SG#1 and I, and his friends are teasing me about the usual: “Is that your phone or a calculator?!”

And someone introduces SG#1 to a new friend as he sits down at the table, “This is SG#1, he’s the guy that tamed the blogger.”

A totally unexpected giant whoosh of surprise hit my stomach. Tamed the blogger? What is that supposed to mean?

The seemingly benign comment threw me into a whirling tumbleweed of thoughts about my dating life. You see, it’s a funny thing when you sign up for online dating sites. Every day you receive in your inbox 10-20 smiling new men ready to take you out to a nice dinner, hand you a flower (if you’re Coqueta) and impress you with stories of travel adventures and their latest big win at work. Pretty soon that thing that married people tell single people to make them feel better when someone breaks up with them over voicemail – “There are plenty of fish in the sea” – starts to come true and you find yourself becoming the emotionally unavailable commitment-phobe you dated three guys ago.

So as any experienced yogi might do, I recognized that one last twinge of my single life and let it float on by. It’s been fun picking dates from the schools of available (and emotionally unavailable) Seattle men-fish, and it was a much needed head-first dive into the dating sea. But, I’m also really enjoying having my person to discover new restaurants, travel to new cities, eat pizza in bed and meet family members (heads up for the post about meeting some of the family!). Just for the record, though, SG#1 may be my boyfriend, but nobody can tame this blogger.

3 comments:

  1. No. You've changed. You're not the same "Looking for a spark" that would never come out that you used to be.

    Separately, am I the only person that ever comments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. By facebook standards you may not be single... but for tax purposes, unless you have some REALLY big news you forgot to tell me, you're still single. So I agree with you, Looking for a Spark. He has a long way to go before he can claim he tamed you. If he's wise he still won't be trying to claim he tamed you when you send your last kid off to college. IF he gets that lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “There are plenty of fish in the sea” – starts to come true and you find yourself becoming the emotionally unavailable commitment-phobe you dated three guys ago.

    ReplyDelete